Thursday, March 19, 2009

Orquestra Sinfônica de Brasília in 2009

The 2009 programme of Orquestra Sinfônica do Teatro Nacional Cláudio Santoro de Brasília is as impressive as any I've seen when it comes to interesting Villa-Lobos repertoire. It includes these works:

April 7 with conductor Emilio de Cesar: Choros #02, 03, 04, and 07, along with the Nonetto
April 14 with conductor Ira Levin: Bachianas Brasileiras #2
April 21 with conductor Ira Levin: BB#2 and #7
June 2 with conductor Abel Rocha: Fantasia em forma de Choros
October 27 with conductor Roberto Tibiriçá: Choros #09
November 10 (conductor TBA): Bachianas Brasileiras #1, #6, and #5 (with soprano Denise Tavares)

The highlights here are the rare Nonetto and Choros #09, and especially the Fantasia em Três Movimentos (in the form of choros). This is the first performance I've come across in my concerts database on the HVL Website. It would be great if this concert could be recorded, since I've never heard of any recordings of this work for "wind orchestra" from 1958.

The complete programme is here, at Concerto's excellent website.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Dean!

    There's a recording of the Fantasia em forma de choros, by the very Abel Rocha: http://www.lojaclassicos.com.br/detalhe.asp?isbn=bssp2d11053k&cat=01

    It's a good piece, though it's not a masterpiece. More or less I'd say it's as interesting as the Concerto Grosso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this - I've added the CD to the HVL Recordings database: http://www.villalobos.ca/node/2244. I'm looking forward to hearing this work. I wish I could travel to Brasilia to hear it live!

    ReplyDelete